RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT – FERMENTATION
Amyris seeks an Associate Director in the Fermentation Laboratory Operations department. The person in this role will take independent accountability and responsibility for driving key elements of the Fermentation Laboratory Operations department ensuring high quality operations and supporting strategic initiatives, change management, and stakeholder management. The incumbent will drive continuous improvement by fostering innovation within the team to identify, develop, and implement improvements through the use of new technologies and simplified use of existing infrastructure. The Associate Director, Fermentation is also accountable to promote staff member engagement, career development, and succession planning.
- Lead a team of Scientists and Associate Scientists to deliver high quality and relevant fermentation experiments.
- Collaborate with program leads to design well controlled experiments and develop standard protocols for strain growth and evaluation.
- Continuously improve the quality and relevance of fermentation measurements.
- With minimal supervision, generate and deliver clear and concise technical communications.
- Actively provide guidance and technical advice to lab staff and program leads.
- Scout new strain and process evaluation technologies. Implement technologies that improve the effectiveness of the Amyris R&D pipeline.
- Ensure staffing levels and skill sets are maintained using capacity model, performance management, and training plan.
- Maintain a culture that ensures the safety of our staff, our community and our environment
- Broad technical knowledge in fermentation, understand different approaches to fermentation and interplay between strain and process
- Experience with automated and semi-automated bench scale fermentation equipment including troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Strong mentoring ability and leadership skills with demonstrated experience building, managing, and developing highly productive, innovative teams.
- Strong analytical skills combined with excellent verbal and written communication ability.
- An agile mindset and a willingness to work in a fluid and changing environment which will include both hands-on work as well as team management.
- Ability to work cross functionally and understand the motivations of colleagues in other functions as well as adapt communication style to match with different levels of the organization.
- Track record of pursuing competing objectives to completion correctly and on time.
- Ability to identify and drive opportunities for process & business optimization.
- Ethics, integrity, and maturity to work with in a fast paced, ambitious work environment and comport oneself appropriately.
- Embrace Amyris Core Values.
- 10 years of directly related industry experience, including at least 5 years with proven leadership role.
- S. degree in Fermentation Science, Life Sciences, Engineering, or acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.