Careers that Change Lives
Impact patient outcomes. Come for a job, stay for a career.
Medtronic Restorative Therapies Group (RTG) is hiring a Sr. Manufacturing Engineer to join the Brain & Specialty Global Engineering team to develop and lead advanced process automation. The position will be located at the Medtronic Irvine, CA manufacturing facility.
Day in the life
- The Sr. Manufacturing Automation Engineer is responsible to create and execute a 5-year plan to roll out process automation solutions across the RTB Brain & Specialty business.
- The Sr. Manufacturing Automation Engineer will design and develop manufacturing automation systems to coordinate the interaction between equipment and operators as well as collect manufacturing data and/or quality acceptance data.
- The Sr. Manufacturing Automation Engineer will analyze manufacturing processes and manufacturing performance metrics to understand where automations solutions are needed. Automation solutions are expected to drive significant improvements to manufacturing quality and efficiency. Automation solutions will drive elimination of product scrap through improved handling processes, implementation of automated testing including moving from human-based attribute testing to automated variables-data test processes, and improvements in process flow and process cycle time.
- The Sr. Manufacturing Automation Engineer is expected to play an active role in working with the manufacturing operations team and process engineering team to specify, design, build, and validate new automated manufacturing solutions.
- The Sr. Manufacturing Automation Engineer will work with manufacturing site Operational Excellence team to optimize process flows, reduce manufacturing floor space requirements, and work within the work flow maturity process to improve manufacturing line performance metrics.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of current manufacturing automation hardware and software solutions, including but not limited to material handling, product inspection, product test, and process interface with shop floor management system
- Create project plans for proposed automation solutions. Develop project schedules, resources requirements, project budgets, and risk management tools.
- Execute project within the constraints of budget, timeline, resource constraints, and project performance requirements.
- Work within the confined of site level Released Product Management (RPM) process. Provide stakeholders with timely updates on project status and performance vs. goals
- Work effectively with cross-functional teams that include specialists from Manufacturing, Regulatory Affairs, Product Development, Sourcing, and Finance to identify systemic cost reduction opportunities.
- Strong understanding of Master Validation, including Validation Master Planning, Installation Qualification, Operational
Qualification, and Performance Qualification.
- Engage stakeholders across the Brain & Specialty manufacturing sites to align process roadmaps, automation roadmaps, and ensure robust multi-site roll outs for key automation initiatives.
- Working knowledge of the functional interaction required between the product development, manufacturing, supply chain, quality, and finance functions.
Must Have: Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in (Manufacturing, Mechanical, Electrical, Materials, Biomedical Engineering, or related technical field)
- 4+ years of experience with Bachelors Degree OR 2+ years of experience with an Advanced Degree
Nice to Have
- Advance degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing process automation solutions.
- Experience work with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES).
- Experience with Medtronic MOS / COS (Medtronic Candidates Only).
- Previous work in a highly regulated environment such as Medical or Aerospace.
- PMP Certification, or previous work experience with Project Management.
- DRM Green Belt Certification in Lean Six-Sigma or DRM or similar certifications.
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life.
We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations – but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this position, but they are not an exhaustive list of all the required responsibilities and skills of this position.
The physical demands described within the Day in the Life section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.